Refashion

RE-FASHIONED SWEATER AND RE-INVENTED DISTRESSED JEANS

Well hello everyone. Note to self…..don’t take pics on a cloudy day. Okay so its a new year with new beginnings so lets make it count. So I would like to share with you guys this refashioned sweater that was inspired by the beautiful Kyrzayda RIP! While engaging in one of my nightly routines which is scrolling through Pinterest before falling asleep I came across Ms. Kyrzayda rocking the hell out this sweater similar to the one I’m wearing. So yep, you already know I copied that LOOK!. I must say, I’m thoroughly pleased with the outcome.

I bought around 1 yard of fabric. I cut 2 strips of fabric much longer than the actual circumference length of the sweater because once the strips are gathered it will cause them to become shorter, which means they wouldn’t be long enough to fit around the sweater. The strips were 6 1/2 inches in width and 50 inches in length to go around the bodice portion of the sweater. Next I serged the top and bottom of both pieces to give them a clean look and hemmed the bottom edges. Then in order to create the gathering on the top of the fabric strips, I first adjusted my sewing machine to stitch on the longest stitch, pulled the long pieces of thread which in return the fabric began to gather. Once the bodice pieces were gathered, I pinned the top layer accordingly and then evenly adjusted the ruffles and I did the same for the second layer and once pinned in place, I sewed them on. I followed the same steps for the ruffled sleeves top layer. The measurement for the ruffled sleeve were 4 1/2 inches in width and 16 1/2 in length. I created the sleeve by measuring the circumference around my arm and added a few additional inches because of the sweater sleeve bulkiness and also I measured it about 2 inches above my elbow down to my wrist. I also serged the top and bottom of the sleeve and created an elastic hem at the end of the sleeve. Lastly, I put the sleeve over the arm portion of the sweater and pinned the ruffle part over on to the newly attached sleeve and sewed both pieces together onto the sweater. Whew……I hope this all made sense. I promise its very easy.

Now as for my jeans I cut 3 slits on one leg, 2 on the other and cut the bottom hem off. Next I got my seam ripper and ripped the edges around the cuts until the edges looks distressed and the same for the bottom of the pants. I posted a quick video snippet on our Instagram page showing the steps it took to distress my jeans.

Be Blessed. I hope you all enjoyed this post and love this look.

How I re-constructed my sweater and made me some distressed jeans

XOXOXOXO…..Ms. Kim Austin

You Might Also Like

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply